Uncategorized — May 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM

REVEALED: The Safest Roof To Have On Your House In A Hurricane

by
In this experiment, This vs That will reveal the safest type of roof to have on your house if you live in a hurricane zone. Oh, that's a jet powered fan that blows wind and rain 125mph.
In this experiment, This vs That will reveal the safest type of roof to have on your house if you live in a hurricane zone. Oh, and that’s a jet powered fan that blows wind and rain 125mph.

A catastrophic failure of your roof is the single greatest threat your home faces in a hurricane. That is, if you don’t count a visit from CNN’s local idiot reporter.

see THIS VS THAT’s HURRICANE EXPERIMENT here

In fact, more than 90% of homes that suffer hurricane damage suffer damage to the roof. The other 10% of damage is spread out among windows, sub-basements and bathtub meth-labs. It’s the initial roof damage that then provides home access to the 125 mile an hour wind and rain.

Here, the hosts are being pelted with 125 mile per hour wind and rain. Which made the crew laugh uproariously. But quietly, to themselves.
Here, the hosts are being pelted with 125 mile per hour wind and rain. Which made the crew laugh uproariously. But quietly, to themselves.

There are generally two ways to mitigate hurricane damage.

1. Modern construction technology is sufficient to reduce damage to your roof.

2. You can get the fuck out of the South East, the area most prone to devastating hurricanes (with Sandy the exception).

However: the problem arises, typically, among houses built prior to the contemporary building codes, where owners, for one reason or another, have not made modern improvements to their home.

Below, check out the trailer for This vs That’s Hurricane experiments

 

So what can people do to protect their homes?

•  Mechanically fasten the roof’s joists with metal brackets.

• Properly adhere the roof to the side walls with hurricane straps.

• Securely bolt the side walls to the foundation.

As for the roof itself, you’ve got several options. The first is shape: do you want a roof that is steep… or one with a gentle slope? The right decision here could mean the difference between surviving a hurricane and facing catastrophic destruction of your home.

Next, there is roofing material to choose. Shingle or tile? What about cement? Or even metal? And then there are bells & whistles like gables and gutters.

TO FIND OUT ALL THESE ANSWERS… and to see us blow the roof off a house with a fan that blows wind & rain 125 miles per hour, check out…

This vs That’s Hurricane House Experiments (click here)

Jon Hotchkiss is the creator, EP, Director & Writer of This vs That. He also created: The Truth About Sex (Playboy TV), Invasion of the X-Mas Lights (TLC), My Dad is Better Than Your Dad (NBC), and Punkin Chunkin (Science). Jon also ran the series Bullshit with Penn & Teller and was one of the original writers on Politically Incorrect. You can reach him here.

Dogs-vs-Cats_256

1,038 total views, 1 views today

Got a thought you'd like to share? Do it here.

Optimization WordPress Plugins & Solutions by W3 EDGE